Thursday, August 2, 2012

Let's talk about sex...

As in gender.  Get that pretty little head of yours out of the gutter!  Or don't.  Whatever.  ;)  Anyways, as I was saying I'd like to talk about the undetermined sex of baby P-Nut.  Tomorrow we have an ultrasound and we may be able to find out if "the Nut" is a he or she!  Eeeeek!!  I'm so excited!

I say "we may" be able to find out because I am only 17 weeks along and there is a chance that the pieces and parts may not be clear for all to see.  We've been warned that if there is any doubt at all then the technician will not even chance it.  Which means we will have to wait until the 22 week ultrasound. {By the way - tomorrow's ultrasound is to check my cervix because I've had a LEEP procedure and apparently that means my cervix is on high alert!  The ultrasound is to make sure there is no pre-mature thinning and everything is as it should be.  I will take this time for a public service announcement to urge all the ladies out there to get your annual OB/GYN checkups and make sure you are in good health}

Now back to our regularly schedule program:

As of right now I'm pretending that not being able to tell tomorrow is not an option.  I keep reading that you can tell the sex as early as 15 weeks so I am hopeful and all giddy with anticipation.  Hubby, the level-headed one in the relationship, keeps telling me to not get too excited because he doesn't want me to get upset if we can't tell.  I know he's right but I can't help myself.  Eeeek!!!  I'm doomed.

I am also not ashamed to admit that I am hoping for another boy.  Most of our family and even our friends keep expressing their hope for a girl.  That is all fine and dandy and if P-Nut ends up being a baby girl of course, I will be thrilled and know it was meant to be.  But there is a part of me that likes the idea of two little boys.  I'm not sure if it is because we have a boy so I'm in "boy mode" or perhaps it is because by dad is one of four boys and ever since I was young I fantasized about having four boys of my own.  Hearing the stories of them growing up, looking at the pictures and seeing how close they all are now is pretty impressive.  (Don't worry Hubby, I'm not jonesing for 4 kids!) 

People who know me are a bit shocked that I'm not dying for a girl.  I'm very "girly" in the sense that I was a dancer and a cheerleader, I love musicals, the Grammy's are like my Superbowl, and I get giddy over decorating my house by season.  But for some reason I don't picture myself with a girl. 

I know this all means that P-Nut is without question, a girl.  Like I said that will be great and wonderful.  Little C will be a great protective big brother and I will have fun with the dresses and ruffles and shoes, oh my!  But the idea of two scrappy brothers sharing adventures and doing "boy things" just sounds like fun.  A handful.  But fun!  Plus as I mentioned in this post, I don't think there is any shame in having a vision for what you want your family to look like.  I realize it may make for a mental shift as you learn you are not having what that vision entailed but that is fine.  I also think it is another great reason to not wait until delivery to find out the sex.  This way I have time to mentally adjust to the idea of a girl and I think knowing the sex regardless of what it is, helps both mom and dad to attach to the unborn child much more.  Just my opinion.

So I'm counting down the minutes as this time tomorrow I will be in the waiting room of the doc's office trying to remain calm and hoping with all my might that P-Nut's pieces and parts are clear for all to see.  And I will be thinking happy thoughts for my beloved cervix as well.  After all, a healthy cervix and a healthy baby is all that matters and the gender is just icing on the cake! 



Did you hope for a particular gender when you were pregnant?  If you haven't started your family yet do you have a vision for what it will look like? 

No comments:

Post a Comment