Wednesday, August 15, 2012

100!


Today is the 100th birthday of Julia Child!  Oh, how I love her!  I'm not at all ashamed to admit that my love affair with Mrs. Child began with the movie Julie & Julia.  Something about that movie really spoke to me and after seeing it in the theatre I became mildly obsessed with Julia Child.  I bought the DVD as soon as it came out and I've only watched it 103 times.  I bought Mastering the Art of French Cooking vol. 1 and received vol. 2 as a Christmas gift.  I bought and read My Life in France and could barely put it down because Julia's life was so interesting and fun to read about and when she would describe the food she was eating or preparing I felt like I was right there with her.

Prior to my love of everything Julia I already had a love of food and cooking.  That stems from my amazing husband who literally taught me to cook when we lived together in college.  Not only did he show me how to hold a knife and chop an onion, but he really gave me the confidence to give cooking a try.  I have been in the kitchen and cooking up a storm ever since!  It is no secret that Hubby is the chef of the household but I certainly have come to hold my own and through devouring countless cookbooks, magazines, cooking shows, and pure trial and error I can now say I've graduated from his sous chef to the 2nd chef of the household!

The reason that the Julie & Julia movie "spoke to me" was how it showed Julia's love for food and cooking and how she literally devoted her life to it.  The Julie Powell part of the movie is all good and fine but it was really Julia's story that resonated with me.  And in case you are wondering, I did not start blogging because of the movie.  I started for other reasons and at least two years after the movie came out.  But enough about me... back to Julia! 

She was so passionate about all aspects of the culinary world that she took every measure possible to perfect it.  She learned French and attended the Le Cordon Bleu taking classes filled only by men.  She would meticulously build a recipe with not only taste in mind but the actual science behind it.  How the ingredients coming together would effect the end product.  She was fearless!

That is so inspiring to me.  I genuinely long to find something that I am unwaveringly passionate about and devote my life to it.  But what?  I work in an industry that I'm not 100% passionate about.  I am passionate about the clients that I work with and the role that I play within my company.  I've accomplished a lot and continue to grow but I know deep down I'm not in a place that will fulfill my life. 

In addition to finding what I'm truly passionate about I find that I lack the fearlessness that I admire so much about Julia Child and other successful people.   Most people that started their own business or made a drastic career change, are taking a huge risk.  They know what they want and they go for it knowing that there may be some unpleasing consequences.  Risk is not my strong suit.  I always play it safe and let the self doubt squash any hopes of going for something bigger than what I'm doing now.  I need to figure out a way to find balance between responsibility and taking a risk.  Hmmm... where to start???

But today is about Julia!  Happy Birthday Mrs. Child!  Thank you for making your way to France and eating your first ever french meal of Sole Meuniere.  Thank you for loving it so much that you decided to devote your life to cooking.  Thank you for your loving character, your wit, and being absolutely fearless in the kitchen.  You have inspired me and taught me more than you will ever know.  Including how to properly scramble an egg!  My husband and son also thank you for that one. ;)  Your legacy lives on...

Bon appetite! 

(Cheesy?  Yes.  Do I care?  Not. one. bit) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment