Monday, December 10, 2012

Sounds of the Season

Do you love Christmas as much as I do? I love the lights, the smells, the sounds, the warmth, the cheer, the traditions, the magic, and being together with loved ones. It truly is the most wonderful time of year!

I am also the crazy person that starts listening to Christmas music around Thanksgiving and pretty much has it on non-stop until Christmas day is over. No, I never get sick of it and yes, I mourn when it has to be turned off until next year.

"So, Kendra... What are some of your favorite Xmas tunes?"

I'm so glad you asked!! Plus that's what I'm here for. To answer the burning questions of my loyal readers!

:: crickets ::

Hello???

Well, I'm gonna share my favs anyway.

Favorite Album: Hands down, without question, always has been and always will be...


I used to grab a fake microphone, singing and dancing around the house to this RECORD. Yup, vinyl. My parents were troopers but no one was a bigger trooper than my snot-nosed bratty little brother whom I also shoved a fake mic into his hand and insisted he be "Kenny" on all the duets. Much to his chagrin, of course. This is such a fun album and it holds very special memories for me...

Favorite Song: Oh Holy Night.

But not just any old rendition will do. There are some singers, who are amazing in their own right, but have no business singing this song. It takes a special voice to really do it justice. This song should be reserved for the Celine Dions and Josh Grobans of the world. All others need not apply. There are many versions that give me chills every time. It is a gorgeous song, indeed.

Then there is my uncle Scott (bless his out of tune heart) that really can belt "fall on your knees" like no one else I know and it just isn't Christmas for my brother and I until we hear him hit those notes. :) 

Favorite Version of Silent Night: Can I get a some east coast swaaang!! Hey, I grew up in the '90's and Boyz II Men were pretty special during that time. Whether or not you like hip hop or R&B it just doesn't matter when it comes to this song. They are talented guys and they sing acapella to boot!

Boyz II Men's Silent Night Listen to it now... you're welcome.

Overall Favs in no Particular Order:
And these are just a few!

So what did you think? Are any of these on the top of your list too? As you can tell I'm a sucker for more of the oldies but it's what I grew up on and the memories that they hold are part of the reason I love this time of year so much. 

What are your favorite tunes this time of year? Do you love the music as much as me or could you do with out it? What special memories do your favorite songs recall for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment