Thursday, November 1, 2012

How a sick day turned into a great day

Happy Halloween! A day late.

Little C was sent home from daycare on Tuesday with a low grade fever. He has a nasty cold that is getting better but I think his body rallied up the fever as a final attempt to get the gunk out! It was gone before he went to bed. Even though he woke up the next day (Wednesday) seemingly better, the rules of daycare state that he must be fever free for 24 hours before returning.

So I stayed home with him. It turned out to be a good decision because he really wasn't 100% and I think a day at home did him some good.

I decided to make the most of my day. While Little C watching Cars and resting I tackled a number of chores. After the house was clean Little C and I danced to music, sang songs, and rough-housed a bit until nap time.

Then I called in the troops! My father-in-law stopped by to watch C while I went to vote. I took advantage of being home to capitalize on early voting in my area. There were no lines and it couldn't have been easier! It felt great to check that off my list.

It also felt great to show off my little P-Nut! Hubby and I made this shirt, and one similar when I was pregnant with Little C. It received some good feedback while I was out and about!

After returning home Little C was in good spirits and the weather was unbelievably gorgeous so I laced up the sneakers, leashed up the dog and we all went for a 30 minute walk.

Normally C has one big nap for approximately 2 hours. But in the late morning he only slept for 40 minutes! So after our walk I planned to put him back down for another snooze. As I was carrying him up the stairs to his crib my sciatic nerve and lower back wished death upon me and a giant surge of pain like I've never felt attacked! I seriously almost dropped Little C!!! I placed him down and haunched over in pain. My sweet little boy was so concerned. He said, "mama?" Like he was asking if I was ok. I told him, "mama's back hurts, just give me one second." Then he haunched down too, like in a frog position and got super close to me to look up at my face and he said, "mama hurths."

The pain started to subside and I was able to get C up to his crib and down for a nap. The rest of my afternoon was spent sitting on a heating pad and in pain. This morning it is still giving me fits! So far this is the only ailment that has me counting down the days until P-Nut arrives.

Once the Hubs got home from work we tried to convince Little C to wear the adorable Tiger costume his Nana made for him and he refused. So we put on his Mickey Mouse hat, a Mickey Mouse shirt and dad painted a black nose on his face.

Back-up costume to the rescue!

The jack-o-lanterns were set up and Little C kept entertained before the kiddos started ringing our bell, by taking all the candy out of the bowl and putting it all back in again. Rinse and repeat.

He loved having so many people stop by our house and he would say, "bye guys!" every time they walked away. It was so cute!

All in all, C's sick day turned out to be a a pretty great day. I LOVED being home with my son, the weather was impeccable, and I felt productive. I also felt like a 90 year old walking with a limp and unable to lift anything heavier than a feather, but still, a good day indeed!

How was your Halloween? Did you get many trick-or-treaters?

No comments:

Post a Comment