I didn't have a mini muffin tin which the recipe calls for so I just made six regular sized muffin pot pies and I froze three of them for future use. I had everything on had to double the recipe to fill my 12 count regular sized muffin tin, but I didn't want to waste the ingredients and go through the trouble if Baby Boy wasn't going to like them. Now that I know... I will definitely double the recipe next time!
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
Pot Pie Filling:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 small store-bought rotisserie chicken breast, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup meat)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch pieces, steamed (about 2 ounces)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Two 10-inch round unfold-and-bake frozen pie crusts, thawed
- 1 large egg
- Special equipment: 12-cup mini-muffin pan; 3-inch round cookie cutter; 2-inch round cookie cutter
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 12-count mini-muffin pan with vegetable oil cooking spray. Set aside.
For the pot pie filling: Melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 6 minutes (it took much less time for me... about 3 minutes).
**Since I only made six regular sized pot pies instead of 12, I poured water into the empty "cups" of my muffin tin to ensure even cooking.