Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Dinner That Practically Makes Itself

I love me some crockpot action!  Especially when the final result is a yummy Tex-Mex-ish type dish.  This recipe couldn't be easier and it acts as a basic method which you can add to and build upon to make even better!  Don't get me wrong, it is great as is, but I would have liked a bit more heat in mine and maybe a thicker sauce.  But for starters... this was dynomite!

One Major Note:  BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SPICE RACK BEFORE MAKING THIS DISH!!!!  I failed to do this and by the time I was elbow deep in the recipe I realized we were out of cumin.  Every bite I took I kept thinking how much better it would have been with that spice.  DO NOT make the same lame brain mistake I did! 

Enjoy!

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken
Servings: 8 servings



Ingredients:
  • 24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
  • 14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
  • 15 oz can black beans
  • 8 oz frozen corn
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
  • salt to taste

Directions:



Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot.



Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning.


I chopped up some fresh cilantro, scallions, grape tomatoes and avacado to serve on top of the chicken.  I also included sour cream and pickled jalapenos on the side. 



After spooning the chicken over couscous (which I made with chicken broth, diced canned tomatoes, cayenne, and chili powder to taste) I sprinkled cheese over the top then added the fresh ingredients.


Viola! 

Source: Skinny Taste







1 comment:

  1. Sounds easy enough & looks delish! I love me some crock pottin' too!

    ReplyDelete