I started off the day with breakfast in bed. Sweet-spiced french toast was the perfect start to the day. Accompanying the traditional toast batter of eggs and milk was cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, sugar and even some maple syrup. For an added brightness of flavor I zested some orange straight into the batter. It was a wonderful combination. Baby Boy also got in on the cooking action helping me scoop out the spices and dumping them into the bowl. My first time having him help me in the kitchen. It was so much fun and it made it even more special for Dad that his son helped make breakfast too!
Breakfast was nice and all but the real star of the day was dinner. I think you know this about me already, I am obsessed with the FoodNetwork. I have been for years and years. Watching cooking shows has been a pastime of mine since I was 20 years old. Although I have many favorite chefs I would have to say my all time favorite is Giada De Laurentiis. Her recipes are so simple, packed with flavor and healthy for you. I have made more of her recipes than any other celebrity chef and I've even entertained with a number of her recipes. I just love her! So, let's get cooking!
Last night I made: Giada's Grilled Rib Eye with Tomato and Poblano Chili Sauce and my own Grilled Romaine Salad with a Mustard Vinaigrette Dressing. For a starch we had beef rice from Rice-a-Roni because it is yummy, cheap and easy.
Grilled Rib Eye with Tomato and Poblano Chili Sauce
- 2 large poblano chiles (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Four 8-ounce rib eye steaks (each about 1-inch thick)