Friday, June 7, 2013

Mama makes it all better!

Poor Little C is pretty darn sick! Thankfully it has been such a long time since he's caught anything and thankfully even longer since we've experienced any of his tummy issues. But man, when this kid goes down... he goes down hard!

Strep throat, double ear infection, AND upper respiratory infection. His breathing was extremely labored so we were sent home with a nebulizer to administer every 4 hours. We were prescribed 3 medications on top of continuing to give him ibuprofen for his high fever which peaked at 104.4.

He did not sleep much at all last night as he was in so much pain and discomfort. I ended up on the couch with him because he wouldn't get comfortable anywhere else. You know when you are sick and you ache from head to toe and at times your skin is crawling? That is what we were dealing with last night.

He would writhe around in pain and in between moaning he'd cry out for me. I assured him I was right there and not leaving. As I was holding him I'd tickle his back or his head. At times he'd request that I don't touch him at all as I'm sure the stimulation on his skin was painful. It was so hard to watch him go through this wanting so bad to make it all better and knowing it has to get worse before it does.

I would hold him until my arms went numb. I slept in the most awkward position on the couch, that is, when I was actually able to truly doze off for a moment or two. I've been snotted on, coughed on, and even puked on in the last 24 hours. I've wiped tears, and made promises that this would all be over soon. I reveled in the snuggles.

It most certainly made me feel pretty special to ease my little man with merely my presence. The soothing power of a mama is magical indeed and as a child I remember it all to well. But being on this end where I'm the one "making it all better," I really enjoyed.

I will gladly not sleep and transform into a couch contortionist at any time to be able to help my little man. Especially because I know as soon as he feels back to his old self, I will have to ask for my hugs, he will not be slowed down long enough to snuggle, and I'll sit on deck for my next call to action which I will enthusiastically leap into.

As for this weekend, we will be laying very low getting C better and doing everything in our power to prevent P-Nut from catching anything. Oh, and did I mention Hubs had to get his wisdom teeth out this morning? So he is on the mend and needs to take it easy. Or how about the fact that my breast milk supply is seriously diminishing and it makes me want to cry?!?!? I don't know what I'm going to do. But what I have learned from past experiences is that all I can do is roll with the freaking punches and I'm sure everything will work out. It always does.

I hope you have had a better Friday than the Full-Thyme Life household and I sure hope you enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment