Monday, April 8, 2013

Remember that thyme?

Once upon a time I would share recipes here on the 'ole blog. But then, I stopped. I discovered how time consuming it is to take photos of your food as you go and I do not have the best camera to make all of my food look enticing.

Another reason I stopped was morning sickness. For five weeks with P-Nut there was not much cooking going on because I felt awful. I eventually started up again but didn't have the energy to be snapping pics as I went.

Then, I had two kids. My cooking went from elaborate to anything fast and easy but still tasty. I now make recipes that take 30 minutes or less. If they take longer it is because the meal is cooking in the oven or in the crock pot. As I head back to work this will be even more important as I will want to spend maximum time with my fam and not in the kitchen all night.

I do feel like I've been holding out on you though. I've been whipping up some tasty treats and I feel I should be sharing with people. Plus, this blog is called "My Full-Thyme Life" because I am forever and always a foodie in addition to the many other hats I wear.

So gear up, people! I will be once again sharing some delicious eats with you. It may not be with consistent frequency and the photos will NOT be taken with a top of the line DSLR, but you will still love me, right?

First up is an appetizer I have made several times but most recently served at Easter Brunch/Little C's 2nd Birthday. They are super easy and very delicious. I hope you like them too!

Smoked Salmon Pizzettes

These tasty morsels are perfect for any brunch, bridal shower, baby shower, or cocktail party. It is a spin on the lox and bagels that people are familiar with but presented in a much more elegant way. It couldn't be easier to pull together and I even prepare the pizza rounds, mix together the cheese, and chop the chives all the night before. The day of the party all I have to do is assemble.

Ingredients
  • Flour, for work surface
  • 1 (8-ounce) ball purchased pizza dough
  • Olive oil, for drizzling
  • 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained, coarsely chopped and dried on paper towels
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1/4 chopped fresh chives

Directions

Special equipment: a 2-inch round cookie cutter (I use a biscuit cutter)

Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the pizza dough into a 1/4-inch thick round. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 15 circles. Arrange the circles on a heavy baking sheet. Using the tines of a fork, prick the dough all over. Drizzle with olive oil and bake until golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix together the mascarpone cheese, sour cream and capers until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of the mascarpone mixture into the center of each pastry round. Top with a piece of smoked salmon and press gently. Arrange the pizzettes on a platter and sprinkle with chopped chives just before serving.

** Two things. 1) I add a bit of lemon juice to the mascarpone mixture to brighten it up a bit. 2) You must say, "pizzettes" like Giada De Laurentiis. You just have to. Repeat after me... "pizz-e-tehs." ;)

Source: Food Network via Giada De Laurentiis

No comments:

Post a Comment